Welcome back to our first week of Club Races at Merrylands! We have a busy season planned and an action-packed morning for our first week of Club, with Races, Novelty Events and a BBQ.
First though, an update on everything that has happened since our last week at Merrylands in March…
Bringing you up to date…
It has been a busy 6 months with some great achievements by our swimmers:
- 3 PBs from our 1 swimmer at the Metro South West 5-8yrs Meet
- A dozen members attended our beach life-saving day
- 9 of our swimmers competed at the Australian Masters Championships in Sydney, bagging 22 medals and 24 new PBs
- We held our first Short Course club races at Guildford, with a stack of PBs, followed by pizza.
- 5 swimmers represented the club at the Metropolitan Short Course Championships
- Tim Oliver travelled to Turkey for a trial event of the new 5th discipline for Modern Pentathlon and then competed at the Swiss Open Modern Pentathlon Championships.
- Varant Jambazian headed to Armenia to represent Australia at the 11th Pan Homenetmen Games
- 3 swimmers represented the club at the Senior State Age Short Course Championships
- We held our second Short Course Club Races with some big PBs highlighting the work the swimmers have put in at training, followed by pizza and brownies (yum).
- 2 medals from 1 swimmer at the Masters Long Distance Championships
- 3 big PBs from Joseph Assi at the NSW Development Meet
Congratulations to all our swimmers on their results over the past 6 months!
The new Executive and Committee were elected at the AGM in May:
We have a couple of vacancies, so if you are interested in helping out, please speak to Graham Edwards.
Club Championships start in just 2 weeks on 22nd October. Remember, to enter a Championship, you must have swum that stroke and that distance in the current season to be eligible to enter.
Make sure you download a copy of the program from the website and plan your swims so you don’t miss out.
Tip: Don’t leave qualifying until the last minute – get your qualification swims completed as soon as possible.
The Pool Staff may ask for proof of your club membership when purchasing your pool entry or your 20-visit pass. You can download a copy of your membership card from Swim Central to show to the staff if requested. Instructions are here.
Parramatta Inter-Club Cup
The Inter-Club Cup is back for 2022! We will take on Parramatta City and McCredie Park right here at Merrylands Swimming Centre on Saturday, 12th November. This is a great event for all our members with events from 7yrs & Under through to 50yrs & Over, and we need everyone’s help to re-take the cup!
Entries are open to both Full Swimmers and Club Only Swimmers, so enter today!
Thanks to a grant from NSW Office of Sport, there is no cost to enter this year, and we will be providing food after the meet.
If you hold a Recreational Swimmer membership you will need to upgrade to at least a Club Swimmer to participate.
Entries close on Wednesday, 9th November – don’t be late!
Welcome back to all of our technical officials. For those who are non-swimming members don’t forget to renew your Dry/Support membership to ensure your technical accreditation remains current.
This Week at Club Races
- Relay Time Trials start this week. You have 3 weeks to get your team organised before the competition starts on 5th November
- Check the Meet Program so you know what events, heats and lanes you are swimming in.
- Novelty events and relays will be held, after the normal races, followed by a free BBQ.
Bring a Friend
Did you know your friends can Come & Try club races for up to 4 weeks without being a member? Just get them to sign up through our website.
Nominations for the positions of Male and Female Club Captains are open and close at 9.30am on week 4 (29th October, 2022). Information about the duties and responsibilities of Club Captains can be found on the club website in the By-Laws.
All financial first claim members can vote for these positions on week 6 (12th November, 2022).
Free Membership for 8yrs & Under
Thanks to a grant received from Club Merrylands swimmers aged 8yrs & Under, who regularly swim in our club races may be eligible to receive a reimbursement on their membership fees. For more information on eligibility criteria and how to claim reimbursement is on our website.
We have a great range of club uniforms available for sale. These can be purchased through the club’s online shop.
Some items require special orders to be placed, so minimum numbers may be required before orders for these items can be placed with the supplier.
If you have any questions about club uniforms please talk to the Property Officer, Margaret Edwards.
Upcoming Meet Calendar
Check the website for the full list of upcoming meets, closing dates, programs and qualifying times.
NSW State Masters Championships
Metro South West Championships
Metro South West Open Water Championships
Parramatta Inter-Club Cup
Thank you to our major sponsors who provide fantastic support to our club. If you know of a business or organisation that may be interested in providing sponsorship or support to our club please speak to Graham Edwards.